c h r o n o l o g i c a l
g u i d e
> Year 1 Year 2 <
> Year 3 Year 4 <
> Year 5 Year 6 <
> Year 7 Year 8 <
> Year 9 Year 12 <
fetching & dismantling
sandblasting & evil rust
right "b" pillar
fixing right inner sill
basic body repair, por-15
frame removed, footwell repair
hole fixed, car flipped, etc.
sill stiffeners, rear bulkhead, etc.
various small parts
left sill, added stiffener, etc.
- lousy weather
trunk floor (reprise)
right floor, left sill, etc.
left floor, wheel well, etc.
right upper wishbone
floor done, car righted
rack, front frame, evil rust
left door cleaned & fitted
right door, right suspension
bonnet, part 1
bonnet, part 2
bonnet, part 3
bonnet, part 4
bonnet, part 5, etc.
bonnet, part 6
bonnet, outer sill, etc.
lots of stuff
left side, bonnet internals
frame, bonnet attached
engine stand, oil pan removal
pistons removed, sanding
sanding, final filling
color, frames, primer
brushed primer test
2nd coat primer
finish prep, detail on dent fix
1. undercoat, plating prep
2. plating, spraying color
bonnet, plate prep, cylinder head
cylinder head paint, bushes
front frame, suspension, part 1
front suspension, part 2
front suspension, part 3
priming and painting
bonnet, part 7
boot lid, steering wheel
1. firewall sundry
2. front suspension
3. steering setup
4. master cylinders/pedals
5. the rest
data plate screed
winter to spring
1. irs rebuild
2. trunk floor, harness
3. data plate (again)
data plate, door, headlights
dash vinyl, crosshatch aluminum
windshield, right door
door handle details
molasses rust removal
electrical, part 1
bores, thrust washers
engine in place!
catchup & photos
setback and brakes
darned close & engine diffs
top and seats
driving and little stuff
Part 1: Winter Cleaning, Undercoating, Plating Prep
It's been a while since I updated the web site, but when cold weather comes in, as it did
in abundance this winter, you just want to hunker down and get through it. So I occupied my
restoration time with things that were easy to do in short and less cold moments. Little
things over a long period do add up. This is a two-part addition to the restoration journal.
Welcome to part one....
I mentioned that I had chosen a non-3M undercoating. It is called "Gravi-Tex" and it seems to
me to be a good equivalent of the 3M "Rock Guard" that is well known in Jag restoration
circles. It goes on with a spray gun (that I got free with purchase of two bottles of
the stuff). I got the material in black, although I suspect that other colors are
available, simply because the color was listed on the label. It's manufactured in the
I followed the guidelines on the Classic Jaguar
website for undercoating. The illustrated instructions are listed in the "FAQs" and show you
what you need to mask up and where the borders of the undercoating are on the rear boot
bottom and the lower outer sills. It took a short evening to mask up the body shell. Since
I've decided to ignore the bonnet for the time being (yes, I got sick of messing with the
bonnet), I didn't worry about the front wheel well areas on it. I figured that I would go back
to the bonnet in earnest once I had the bonnet subframe issues resolved.
I went about two and a quarter inches up the outer sill from the bottom of the outer sill
and followed the
photographs on the Classic Jaguar web site for the border on the boot floor. Use the notches
in the bottom that meet the wheel wells to guidance. Your masking will almost bisect the hole
for the fuel "bung." Be sure to mask
the radius arm mounting cups and the bolts for mounting the exhaust pipes beneath the floor.
I used fairly low pressure to spray the undercoating 40 psi since I wanted
to have the coating go on roughly. Higher pressure will make the material finer grained,
so to speak, and smoother to the touch. The original undercoating was even rougher than
what I eventually ended up with, and I suppose I could have backed off on the pressure even
more. The final effect is nice nonetheless.
I left the undercoating for a week or so before spraying a thin coat of primer over the surface.
This may have been unnecessary, but auto paint folks suggested it for good sealing and for
a uniform color beneath the paint.
In addition to the body work, I prepped the front suspension parts for nickel plating. I
decided to go ahead and blast them. They're pretty clean now, for the most part, and I have
just a few more small parts to clean up before shipping the lot of them to a plating service
I located in North Carolina. (I'm sending them off with a little trepidation, I'll admit.
The parts are practically irreplacable, after all.)
And, since one can easily spend money in warmth inside, I did a bit of that, too. Shocks,
bushes, brake cylinder rebuild kits, ball joint kits, front brake rotors, and so on. Also,
I got a used bonnet subframe from Stefan Roundy to replace the bent up one that came
on my car. I can hardly wait to get the subframes ready!
Go to Part 2